This page is very much a page in progress. Please let us know if you have suggestions on things to add.
If you look at the table of content in either of Martin Luther’s catechisms, you will not see vocation, Two Kingdoms, a Christian understanding of secular culture, etc. At the same time, Luther’s catechisms offer probing insight with remarkable brevity on exactly those topics.
Because Luther’s Catechisms remain a wonderful summary of Scriptural teaching, we created this page, in effect, to help people visualize where, and how, Christian life questions are answered and addressed both in the catechisms and in supplemental material.
This also helps to illustrate that, although vocation–like other things–can be taught as a subject in itself, it is not in isolation. Rather, it is often explicitly where the rubber hits the road, where lessons meet life.
This page lists online resources, as opposed to recommending books
By Catechism Topic
Part 1. The Ten Commandments
- Our relationship with God impacts our relationship with others.
- Our relationship with God impacts our relationship with creation/things/stuff.
- Some things are simply not to be done, therefore there is commanded morality and ethical concerns.
Lutheran Marriage Resources
- Marriage Family Conference 2019, hosted by the congregations of the Cole Camp Regional Ministry & the Sedalia Circuit of the LCMS
- Lutherans who speak or write about marriage:
- Heather and Todd Bierman
- Amy Bindas
- Rihard Eyer
- Dr. David Ludwig
- Mary J Moerbe
- Scott Stiegemeyer
Part 2. The Apostles Creed
- The Triune God is the God of Creation
- The Triune God is the God of Redemption
- The Triune God is the God of the Church, Sanctification, and the ongoing Forgiveness of sins
Finances: The Lord reigns over all creation and promises to provide, but that doesn’t mean finances isn’t a serious topic.
Part 3. The Lord’s Prayer
Part 4. Baptism
The Call of Baptism relates to every Christian vocation.
Baptism as an Ongoing Reality and Influence in Christian Life
Part 5: The Office of the Keys and Confession
A Christian life may not appear different from an unbelievers.
Centrality of forgiveness within faith
Centrality of forgiveness in our relationships with others.
Part 6: The Lord’s Supper
Prayers for Daily Use
Tables of Duties
In what ways are we free and in what ways are we bound?
What is the distinction between freedom and liberty?
How should we act when we don’t know what may be “best”?
Christian Questions and Answers