Science can be misunderstood and misconstrued. Sadly, it can be twisted and even idolized. At the same time, science is a blessed exploration of God’s creation and a tremendous service to others and the world.
The English word scientist was first coined by William Whewell in the 19th century. Before that, there were natural philosophers.
Natural philosophers aspired to empirical investigations. Classical examples include Thales and Aristotle. Then, the scientific method was methodically employed since the Middle Ages (for example, by Ibn al-Haytham and Roger Bacon).
Modern science began to develop in the early modern period, and in particular in the scientific revolution of 16th- and 17th-century Europe. Traditionally, historians of science have defined science sufficiently broadly to include those earlier inquiries.
According to Wikipedia’s organization at least, Modern science can be broken down into the following:
- Natural sciences
- Social sciences
Meanwhile, we should also continue considering philosophy, which continues to influence fundamental questions of knowledge, value, reason, etc.
Organizations for with additional Scientific Reading
Looking for resources from a Lutheran perspective on faith and science? May this be a good place to start.
- CPH books on faith and science, ethics,
- Lutherans for Life and their Life Issues page
- Lutheran Science Institute, a WELS affiliated organization
Creation in general
- Attending to the Beauty of Creation and the New Creation, Charles Arand and Erik Herrmann, 2019.
- Back to the Beginning: Creation Shapes the Entire Story, Charles Arand, Spring 2014.
- A Theology of Creation Lived Out in Christian Hymnody, Beth Hoeltke, PhD dissertation, May 2014.
Creation vs. Evolution
- Creation Vs. Evolution, David Menton, 3/12/2011, parts 1, 2, 3, 4,
- Science, Scripture, and Creation, Henry Morris, Convocation at Concordia Seminary, February 4, 1981.
- 3 Systems of Psychology, Martin Haendschke, 1/1/1984.
Unsorted Video Presentations
- Two Concepts of Dignity by Dr. Angus Menuge
- God and the Justification of Human Rights by Dr. Angus Menuge
- Artificial Intelligence and the Metaphysics of Mind – Angus Menuge
- On Libertarian Free Will by Angus Menuge
- In Defense of the Soul by Angus Menuge
- Critique of Christian physicalism by Angus Menuge
- AI and the Metaphysics of Mind by Angus Menuge